You are going to love the this interview. There is so much information here about educational apps, curriculum, and educational websites. What are you waiting for… get listening!!!
[su_heading size=”30″ margin=”40″]Jamie and Petter Olsen[/su_heading]
After we got done laughing about what a dork I am for messing up the first interview that I did with Jamie and Petter we jumped right into their story about why they homeschool.
They share the biggest challenge they faced when they started homeschooling: the negative reactions from those around them. Who in has taken on homeschooling and NOT faced that problem.
Check out how they suggest you get through that negative pressure.
Some other really important points from this podcast:
- You may already be homeschooling without knowing it.
- How important it is to see changes in your children as they grow up.
- The learning process for parents.
- How do we explain that students at home score better than students in public school system?
- Don’t just replicate what is happening in Public School.
- Some great homeschool curriculum reviews.
- How homeschool can actually free your children up to follow pursuits.
- The Today article on Jamie Anderson the USA snowboarding gold medalist
- Why your attitude or perspective is the most important resource you have.
- Homeschool does not have to look a certain way.
- A creative way to keep your children from ‘zoning out’ on electronics as soon as they are done with their school.
- We all learn better in things that we are interested in and that is an important insight for homeschooling parents.
- Jamie’s favorite and least favorite subjects.
- The important role of audio books and having conversations with your children as you go along.
- A way to keep your “energetic” children focused on their homework by breaking up the school work with some active breaks.
[su_heading size=”30″ margin=”40″]Petter’s List
“Things to Teach My Children”[/su_heading]
AWARENESS, COMPREHENSION , RESULTS
– basic economics
– difference between need/want
– human behavior
-emotional intelligence: self-awareness, social awareness, relationship management
– nutrition and the effects of nutrition on moods and performance
– body language
– controlling what we can control
– opportunity cost
– seven habits
– personal mission statement
– liberty and tyranny
– Excel spreadsheet and word processing
-how to write code
-fantastic communicator – really good at conveying ideas (how well you right is understood to be how well you think)
“Wall Streer Prep $39 excel cd rom
and “Training the Street” excel best practices
-Onemonthrails.com or flatironschool.com
Breakpoints – engineering
Critical mass – physics
Decision trees (also, Harvard, high school algebra applied to real life problems) Very Important
*Fermat/Pascal system (math) very important
The 5 why’s
Math of permutations and combinations
Gaussian or normal distribution looks like and know that events and huge aspects of reality end up distributed that way
Cost benefit analysis
cognitive function as distinguished from the perceptual function (cognitive apparatus – know its limitations
20 basic physiology principles
(partly) free market economy—as sort of the equivalent of an ecosystem
Microeconomics – advantages of scale (and social proof)
Bureaucracy and territoriality
[su_heading size=”30″ margin=”40″]Books Jamie and Petter
Great Books Series (This is a 54 book series that compiles some of the greatest minds of the western world. It is published by Encyclopedia Britannica)
- Jamie said that she felt like this book was not as structured as she wanted, but that it really helped her fuel the desire to homeschool.
- Jamie and Petter really liked this book for the template and structured approach that it takes to homeschool. It suggests curriculum ideas for different ages levels.
[su_heading size=”30″ margin=”40″]Homeschool Curriculum Review[/su_heading]
- This website is a free resource that is really good at helping children with the letter sounds and how to read.
- This is a free preschool website. It is available to Utah children who will start kindergarden the next school year. It utilizes the Rusty and Rosey Learn with Me curriculum first focusing on reading and then math and science.
- This is a great online resource and there is also an app for both the iPad and Android platforms.
- This is a free website with talks from some of the great minds today. You can get talks on almost any topic. It is great for motivation or just curiosity.
- Full-time, tuition-free online public schooling available in many states. An accredited online private school available worldwide, full- and part-time. Over 200 courses, including AP and world languages, for direct purchase.
- They send you all the materials you need. You study an artist and why he or she painted in a certain way. Then you try to mimic the style.
One major help with this curriculum is that there is a DVD with a teacher. Math-U-See also has several avenues to help parents or children that get stuck on a principle.
*Just a note, some of the links on this page are affiliate links which means I will receive a small fee from the seller. So if you are going to purchase one of these books, I would love it if you do it from these links.