THREE EASY THINGS TO DO IN SUMMER FOR MATH, READING & WRITING
MATH Summer Homeschool Ideas:
Do all your math equations with sidewalk chalk outside!
My older kids had fun teaching the younger ones their harder math equations. They would explain what all their numbers meant and how they reached the right answers. They had a blast doing this together.
READING Summer Homeschool Ideas:
Let the kids build a caterpillar around the room with paper circles. Every time they read a book they get to add a circle to their caterpillar. This is a simple but motivating way to help the kids enjoy reading. Kids love to play games and this activity encourages them to read more and more books in order to make a crazy big caterpillar!
WRITING Summer Homeschool Ideas:
Have your children answer the following question at the end of the day for a month and you have the beginning of a journal. You could also have them answer the question at the beginning of the day and write about the previous day. Here are some examples of questions you could ask, but feel free to let the write about something that was fun when the opportunity presents itself.
- Do I think a monkey would make a good pet? Explain why or why not.
- What difficult decisions have I had to make?
- What was one thing I did today (yesterday) that made me laugh?
- 5 things that make me happy are…
- What are some things that I could do now that you could not do four years ago?
- 10 things that I value about life are…
- If I had $100 but couldn’t keep it, who would I give it to? What would I want them to do with it?
- What is my favorite memory of my mom or dad or both?
- What is one thing that I believe in?
- 10 lessons that I have learned so far in my life are…
- 10 things that make me laugh…
- 10 things that make me cry are…
- Who was the most helpful to me today (yesterday)? What did they do to help me? How did I say thank you?
- 10 ways that I can help someone else are…
- Which superpower would I most like to have– invisibility, super strength, or the ability to fly? What kinds of things I would do with my powers?
- 10 accomplishments that I have done are…
- 10 things that I do well are…
- 20 things that I love about my family are…
- What are some ways a person my age can earn money. How would I like to earn money this summer?
- 10 things that I hope happen within the next year are…
- 10 good books that I have read are…
- 6 special people in my life are… Why do I think they are special?
- Describe one time when you were brave.
- What is my favorite character from a book, a movie, or television? Why do I like that character?
- If I was a wonderful painter and my parents would let me paint anything I wanted on my bedroom walls. What would I paint? How would others describe my painting?
- What is it like to go shopping with my mother?
- Write about learning to skate, to ride a bike, to climb a tree, or to turn a cart wheel.
- Have I ever been lost? What did it feel like when I did not know where I was or how to get back?
- What is one thing I am really good at?
- Imagine I was twenty feet tall. What would life be like?