George Alfred Henty (1832-1902) was an author and a war correspondent, but his best work was the historical adventure books. As a homeschooling parent, you may have read some (or all) of them, but you have NEVER experienced G. A. Henty the way I did last week thanks to Heirloom Audio Productions. I am convinced that this is one of the best ways to introduce good literature to my 6 and 7 year old children without losing the attention of their older siblings!
If you are looking for homeschool ideas for history or language arts then you have found the right episode!
Check out this little teaser:
In my interview this week I had the opportunity to talk with Bill Heid from Heirloom Audio Productions to talk about the CD Audio Theatre: In Freedom’s Cause: The Real Story of Wallace and Bruce. To be honest, I can’t find a single thing I did not enjoy about the CD. It think there are so many advantages to including this kind of material into your homeschool curriculum. Here are a few off the top of my head:
- IT IS FUN!!!
- You will not have to beg your children to listen and pay attention!
- Your children are using their imaginations instead of a silly box feeding them every sensory detail.
- The story is interesting enough to hold their attention, and will prepare them for great conversations at all ages.
- It shows an accurate portrayal of William Wallace’s faith and the role of the Psalms in his life’s mission
- REAL HISTORY!! While I understand the concern if historians “inject” faith into history, but how does surgically removing faith and Jesus Christ improve the accuracy of any historical event? In Freedom’s Cause gives an accurate portrayal of Wallace’s faith in God and the hand of God in Wallace’s own life.
Bill and I discussed all sorts of topics, including how be authentic with our children regarding our own efforts to overcome mistakes–ESPECIALLY WHEN WE MAKE MISTAKES IN PARENTING! It is a very powerful example for our children to follow when they see us coming to them asking for forgiveness. The story of William Wallace is another great way to teach our children that THEY DO NOT HAVE TO BE PERFECT TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE! Listen to my interview with Bill Heid from Heirloom Audio Productions and then check out In Freedom’s Cause: The Real Story of Wallace and Bruce.
You can get it on Amazon:
But there are some great packages that Heirloom Audio Productions offer if you purchase the CDs from their website. Here are the links to check out their curriculum and discussion questions as well as the soundtrack (which I did not even mention, but is outstanding).
If you still are not convinced, check out what others are saying about the story on their review page.
To listen to our podcast and subscribe just click below: